After travelling for 28 hours, we arrived Tuesday, 26 October 2010, at 11:30 pm, in Chennai, India. We flew from Salt Lake to JFK in economy-class, then boarded our plane on Jet Airways. This was when we were able to fly in business class - thank goodness! We had our own "cubicles" and upon sitting down we were offered fresh orange juice, warm towels to freshen up, slippers and pajamas to sleep in. Business class is definitely the only way to fly long distances. The seats fold out into beds, you have your own TV screen (I watched Iron Man 2), blankets and pillows. Dinner is served with linen tablecloths and napkins, silverware, glassware - even salt & pepper shakers. We had our first Indian food. I couldn't tell you what I had - some chicken in a red sauce with rice and some sort of potato - it was pretty good. Our only stop was in Brussels, Belgium, where we had another lay-over, then boarded the same plane for our final ride to Chennai.
We got our luggage, found our driver and headed towards the hotel. Oh boy. I was surprised at the people who are out after midnight. The roads are crazy (they drive on the "wrong" side of the road) and everyone jockey's for position. Except for the cows and water buffaloes - they are everywhere. Just standing around - I wondered, where do they eat and what are they doing ...?
Along the roadside are shacks - some are business and some are homes - they line both sides of the roads. There are piles of dirt along the roads and some kind of road construction continually. Then we pull into our hotel - the Asiana - it's right in the middle of poverty - yet it's beautiful. The road into the hotel is blocked and security sweeps the car with a mirror - I assume looking for bombs. We're deemed "safe" and we enter, check in and head to our room. It's really nice - marble and wood floors, king size bed - all the comforts of home. We are exhausted. We take a sleeping pill - Don decides to send the kids a text message letting them know we've arrived safely. The next morning, neither of us were sure if he really sent it or not!
Today (Wednesday) we had our driver, Gandhi, pick us up and take us to our apartment. It won't be ready until Sunday, but Don wanted me to see where we will live for the next six months. I suddenly feel very unsure of this whole adventure. It is hard to understand everyone, it's humid, and my stomach is not feeling so great. Our apartment is on the 4th floor - #401 to be exact. Currently another "expatriate" is living in it, so we just peek in. She explains that the power goes out - and a back-up generator kicks in. When that happens, you can only run two fans and two lights - it has happened then and the apartment is muggy and hot. I decide right then my Levi's have to go - way too hot and heavy for this climate. We look quick through the windows at a gym that is on site - it costs 2500 rupees (about $55) for six months - then I'll have access to a swimming pool and gym - this will definitely be money well-spent. There is also a small convenience store on site - we went and bought some cookies, crackers and diet coke. I looked around quickly and it seems this little store has most everything we will need. There are no grocery stores close by, so this little store will come in handy.
Well, we are now back in our hotel. Gandhi plans to pick us up tomorrow at 10:00 am for some shopping and sightseeing - I hope then to get some pictures to share.
Gayle, what an adventure. I'm so glad you are chronicling this. It gives this little girl from Provo a taste of India. Keep up the posts, it will be fun to follow your exciting journey.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Suzanne
Now you know how that first night in the MTC feels like! It's the first day of the rest of your life!
ReplyDeleteAnd today Midway was covered with snow that did not melt off the grass because it was so cold. Pat and I took a walk and froze, so how is that for a difference. Glad to hear you are safe and yes you can get through this and live an adventure. Don't get too outsourced!! Boy you went to extremes to get out of home teaching Don.
ReplyDeleteJoe DeCastro